- K. Thodkar, C. Schoenenberger, M. Calame, F. Luond, F. Overney, and B. Jeanneret. Characterization of HMDS treated CVD Graphene. , Proceedings of the Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements (CPEM 2016), July 10-15, 2016, August 2016.
- W. Szmyt, S. Vogel, M. Holler, A. Diaz, J. Gobrecht, M. Calame, and C. Dransfeld. Carbon fibre with and without a protective ultrathin alumina film grafted with carbon nanotubes for hierarchical composites observed by ptychographic X-ray computed tomography. , ECCM17 – 17th European Conference on Composite Materials, Munich, Germany, June 26-30, 2016, June 2016.
The failure of carbon fibre reinforced polymers (CFRP) is typically governed by compressive failure in the fibre direction or insufficient transverse strength and occurs at a fibre-matrix interface. A novel approach of enhancement of the interface is the development of hierarchical composites based on growth of carbon nanotubes (CNT) on the carbon fibre (CF). The challenge is that during the chemical vapour deposition (CVD) growth of CNTs, surface defects are induced in the CF by diffusion and an etching effect of the Fe catalyst, which alters the tensile properties of the CF. Our approach utilises an Al O diffusion barrier layer on the CF surface obtained by atomic layer (ALD). In our present work we deliver the observation of the CF with and without a protective alumina film grafted with CNTs utilising ptychographic X-ray computed tomography (PXCT), which provides nm-resolved 3D electron density maps of the CFs. We present and discuss a data analysis methodology for iron nanoparticle detection in the electron density maps.
- K. Thodkar, C. Nef, W. Fu, C. Schonenberger, M. Calame, F. Luond, F. Overney, and B. Jeanneret. CVD graphene for electrical quantum metrology. , Proceedings of the Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements (CPEM 2014), August 24-29, 2014, pages 540-541, August 2014.
- S. Vogel, C. Dransfeld, M. Calame, and J. Gobrecht. Improved fiber strength of carbon fibers after CNT growth by application of thin Alumina interlayer. , Proceedings of Composites Week @Leuven and TEXCOMP-11 Conference, Leuven, 16-20 September 2013, September 2013.
- M. Wipf, R. L. Stoop, A. Tarasov, K. Bedner, W. Fu, M. Calame, and C. Schönenberger. Potassium sensing with membrane-coated silicon nanowire field-effect transistors. , Proceeding of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators & Microsystems (Transducers & Eurosensors XXVII), Barcelona, Spain, 16-20 June 2013, pages 1182-1185, 2013.
- Wangyang Fu, Cornelia Nef, Alexey Tarasov, Mathias Wipf, Ralph Stoop, Oren Knopfmacher, Markus Weiss, Michel Calame, and Christian Schoenenberger. Sensing with liquid-gated graphene field-effect transistors. In Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO), Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO). IEEE; IEEE Nanotechnol Council; Univ Birmingham; Inst Phys (IOP),, 2012. 12th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO), Birmingham, ENGLAND, AUG 20-23, 2012
Liquid-gated graphene field-effect transistors (GFETs) with reliable performance are developed. It is revealed that ideal defect-free graphene should be inert to electrolyte composition changes in solution, whereas a defective one responses to electrolyte composition. This finding sheds light on the large variety of pH or ion-induced gate shifts that have been published for GFETs in the recent literature. As a next step to target graphene-based (bio-) chemical sensing platform, non-covalent functionalization of graphene has to be introduced.
- V. Beiu, M. Calame, G. Cuniberti, C. Gamrat, Z. Konkoli, D. Vuillaume, G. Wendin, and S. Yitzchaik. Aspects of Computing with Locally Connected Networks. In TE Simos, G. Psihoyios, C. Tsitouras, and Z. Anastassi, editors, Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics (ICNAAM 2012), Vols A and B, volume 1479 of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics (Icnaam 2012, AIP Conference Proceedings), pages 1875-1879. European Soc Computat Methods Sci, Engn & Technol (ESCMSET); R M Santilli Fdn,, 2012.
This paper outlines an ongoing effort to develop and use networks of nanoscale memristive components for unconventional information processing.
- O. Knopfmacher, A. Tarasov, W. Fu, M. Calame, and C. Schönenberger. Sensitivity considerations in dual-gated Si-nanowire FET sensors. In European Cells and Materials, volume 20 of European Cells and Materials Journal, page 140, November 2010. ISSN 1473-2262
- C. Schoenenberger, F. Dewarrat, M. Calame, K. Furukawa, and H. -W. Fink. DNA: An electric conductor ?. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Molecular Electronics and Biolelectronics, Proceedings of the International Conference on Molecular Electronics and Biolelectronics, March 2001.
- M. Calame, Ch. Leemann, Baselgia L. Stahel, and P. Martinoli. Effect of pinning and thermal fluctuations on the superconducting phase transition of $YBa_2Cu_3O_7$ thin films. , volume 3481 of SPIE Proc., page 241, December 1998.
- M. Calame, Baselgia L. Stahel, Ch. Leemann, and P. Martinoli. Vortex dynamics and pinning in YBa2Cu3O7 thin films. , volume 46, Suppl. S3 of Czech. J. Phys., page 1619, 1996.
- M. Calame, Baselgia L. Stahel, D. Ariosa, Ch. Leemann, and P. Martinoli. Linear dynamic response of vortices in the mixed state of YBa2Cu3O7 thin films. In Bankuti J. et al., editor, Proceedings of the first International Summer School on High Temperature Superconductivity, number 24 in Proceedings of the First International Summer School on High Temperature Superconductivity, Eger, Hungary (1995), 1995.